There is a season – turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it’s not too late!
Indeed, a time for peace… I swear it’s not too late.” Ohhh… had the Byrd’s folk rock group known in 1965 that “Turn, Turn, Turn” would be so prophetic and relevant to today’s challenging world, I wonder what they would say….
No one has all the answers… However, one organization stands out to deliver the clear message that the plight of crime victims is not lost; has not fallen on deaf ears totally; that crime victims are NOT second class citizens; are not to be treated as “an afterthought;” are indeed deserving of respect, sensitivity, compassion, education and informed of their rights under the law…. In an effort to balance the inequities of “perpetrator versus the state….and oh yes, the victim “when we get around to it.”
Dr. Will Marling, a man who is well versed in the spiritual aspects of grieving, began assisting law enforcement and the community in 1990. Since 2007, he has humbly spearheaded the mission of the National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA). http://www.trynova.org/
Shattered Lives Radio interviewed Will for “Shattered Lives” radio concerning a variety of topics relevant to crime victims and came away with a sense that this man has heart and takes his job seriously….. ‘So important for all of us!
- Introduction to our guest
- An introduction to the history of NOVA
- The “State versus the perpetrator” and the birth of NOVA
- Training, crisis intervention/trauma mitigation and education and a toll free hotline number- 1-800-TRYNOVA
- “Celebrating progress” versus being sensitive to re-victimization and traumatization: a fine line…
- How do you prevent re-victimization?
- A scenario, an explanation – “Doing their duty”– on the victim advocate side
- High profile, mass casualty events – when resources exceed what is needed….
- Stalking, harassment and identity calls – NOVA helps to dedicate resources, assists with safety planning
- What’s the difference between the National Center for Victims of Crime, founded by the Sunny Von Bulow family?
- A history lesson: The charge to amend the Constitution on behalf of crime victims
- An awakening for crime victims beginning with President Regan – The President’s Commission on Victim’s Rights #1-68 Recommendations: Constitutional Rights was #68
- No Federal Rights and 33 of 50 states do have crime victim rights at the state level only!
- Dignity, compassion, educational and future safety considerations….
- The Victims of Crime Act: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/victim_assistance/victim_rights
- House Joint Resolution 40: Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution: http://www.trynova.org/crime-victim/rights/proposedcvra/
- Educating House members… There are between 10 and 12,000 bills introduced during a session, with 2 to 4% passed …and a very small percentage pass in joint resolutions. Progress is slow but steady…
- Website- http://www.nvcap.org/vrapetition/index.php
- Bring your personal story to your Congressperson – an emphasis for safety and security for posterity!
- A discussion of mass shootings and NOVA’s stance…
- Citizens who care, are paying attention to potential threats and averting tragedy…
- NOVA’s protocol in offering service…
- Ladyjustice brings up the participation of the military at the NOVA Conference and the epidemic of IPV and sexual assault. Will’s explanation on the military’s efforts and his reasons for hope for change…
- Department of Defense Sexual Assault Advocate Certification Program: http://www.trynova.org/help-crime-victim/dsaacp/
- Advocating for Susan Murphy –Milano- and Document the Abuse: http://www.documenttheabuse.com/
- Will’s high compliment to Ladyjustice and “Shattered Lives” compared to all other TV and radio interviews he’s experienced
- Cyberstalking – THE ISSUE- a tool to use as a weapon- stalking, bullying, in domestic violence and identity theft, a very pervasive issue!
- Discussion of “What can we do to resolve this?”
- Basic principles of protection: (2 million passwords were recently stolen)
- Working in collaboration with Life lock: http://www.lifelock.com/
- “You are your data” Make it more complicated than 123456…. Ask, “What for?”
- A discussion of taking advantage of college students… Why does a sorority need your social security number?
- Why join NOVA? Becoming part of a network and a commitment to crime victims
- Crime Victim Advocate- one of the lowest paid professions and yet, one of the highest in degree of dedicated professionals serving in very difficult situations.
- An illustrative story- An attorney’s commitment
- Kudos to Attorney – Advocate Michelle S. Cruz….
- Will’s advice- Seek out an advocate and remember that there can be a “new normal”
9am-5pm Eastern Time, Monday-Friday
National Organization for Victim Assistance
- 510 King Street, Suite 424
- Alexandria, VA 22314
Questions for the Gallery!
- What is the historical background of NOVA with regard to its stance in worldwide efforts?
- How do we compare services in the 1970’s to 2013?
- What is the emphasis of NOVA in this decade?
- What are the general categories of calls that NOVA typically receives?
- “A debt to society philosophy” about victimization-
What’s it about and what did it mean to crime victims?
- How many rights are afforded the perpetrator federally (including Miranda) versus state’s rights to the victim?
- What are we up against in Congress regarding the process for amendments?
- How can we as crime victims help with the Constitutional Amendment?
- What message does empowerment send to would be perpetrators?
- What was the worse elementary school disaster ever?
- Can NOVA self-deploy in any major incident- why or why not?
- Penetrating the military- Appropriate training and certification re intimate partner violence and sexual assault; Is it possible?
- How can NOVA assist with assaults via the internet?
- What is the significance of Marsy’s law to victim rights?
The comments expressed on this website or on the broadcasts of Shattered Lives do not necessarily reflect the opinions or beliefs of the hosts, producers, or other guests.
Sixty-Eight Reasons and More…
The Legacy of the National Organization for Victim Assistance
- Victim Impact Statement Assistance with Donna R. Gore (imaginepublicity.com)
- Victim Impact Statements: A Piece of Justice (donnagore.com)
- Task force on crime victim privacy divided, disgruntled (rep-am.com)
- Expert weighs in on gang mentality (wane.com)
- Reception to be held Monday for families of fatality crime victims (cjonline.com)