“War … What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing… Say it again… War… What is it good for? It ain’t nothin’ but a Heartbreaker… Friend Only to the Undertaker…”
As Motown vocalist Edwin Starr sings of the ravages of the Vietnam War in 1969 in the video above, he could just as well be singing about the terror in the streets of 2014, for there is a war of a different kind… Gang life is not about fighting and killing for a cause… but for “the sport of it, one-upmanship“if you will!
David LaBahn “Gangs are nothing new…”
We could offer excuses; poverty, lack of parents to provide a moral compass, unemployment, lack of money, easy access to drugs, accessibility of weapons, racial-cultural intolerance etc., etc. In fact, these very excuses have become the tools of the trade. However, we know that many, many others grow up in such environments and somehow with the grace of God and moral fortitude and courage, do not get consumed by gang life. Others become victims by “merely by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Nevertheless, the “wrong place, wrong time” scenario that frequently comforts some parents may in fact be a fallacy as we learned in this episode of Shattered Lives Radio. Examining the underbelly of the gang culture is not for the faint of heart. As an introduction to this show, the following You-Tube Videos shed further light on the pretense of power and devaluation of life both in the streets and behind prison walls.
Clothing, (Sports Apparel) Status & Appearance with Gangs
- National Crime Victims Rights Week
- Introduction to our Guest- David LaBahn
- Overview of the prosecution of gangs
- “Jumping in & Jumping out” – the focuses of today’s gangs
- Discussion of types of gangs- invisibility, paybacks….
- Delilah asks about activities and the money trail
- Detroit- Dying because of marijuana- WHY??
- Baltimore – deaths due to heroin and gangs
- Driving in the wrong neighborhood- Gang on alert!
- Prosecutions- Triangle Intervention Suppression & Prevention Efforts
- Target Gang Program – Orange County California- A model Program
- Strategies to improve safety… Are they a victim, defendant, or witness
- Street corner gang to the prison gangs….
- Baltimore Corruption: Gang Leader Impregnating Correction Officers http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/bs-md-bgf-jail-reaction-20130424,0,4725658,full.story
- Discussion of wire taps
- If and when gang members become tired….
- Give the kids something to do: Options: MAG:
- Getting junior and middle school girls not to think gang members are cool
- Money, prestige, “being cool”, Cops & Gang members in the same family
- Ladyjustice on the influence of sports and music
- Delilah on the impact of school cuts with extracurricular activities –the prevention side
- Wearing the wrong color and “going hunting”
- Parents – My child didn’t do anything wrong”
- Heroes – The Garza Family & Mothers Against Gangs https://donnagore.com/2013/05/19/mothers-men-against-gangs/
- Parting Words about parents and children who are perceived as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- CONTACT INFORMATION:
Association of Prosecuting Attorneys
1615 L St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202-861-2480 Fax: 202-223-4688
e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where was the original gang unit and of what was it comprised?
- What are the differences between the gangs of old and today’s gangs?
- Is it likely that one can one escape a gang without being killed?
- Where do gangs hang out?
- Access to the open market – What’s it all about?
- How do we reduce violence of gangs via leadership, and civil injunctions?
- How do you track the activities of gang members inside prison?
- What is the knowledge level and pressures of correction officers?
- How do gang members get out?
- What are girl gangs about?
- How can we shift through the stereotypes of reasons for involvement of gangs?
- What is the average age and academic standing of a gang member as a witness?
- What is flying the rag?”
- How can we “turn “a gang member?