“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” Buddha
It occurred to me that the general populace might actually embrace taking care of their bodies with Dr. Dalal Akoury if she set the “anatomy and physiology of it all” to some cool tunes, just like they did in the days of Sesame Street! YES! Who doesn’t remember “Conjunction Junction” (What’s your Function?)
Such a cool Rock tune! Listen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODGA7ssL-6g
Why not?? We remember radio jingles, don’t we? It could work!
But in the meantime, until my synapses calm down, I’ll say that the revolutionary aspect of Dr. Dalal Akoury’s Addiction Recovery Treatment seeks to restore neuro-endocrine imbalances, incorporate the spirit, and rejuvenate the body to a state of homeostasis – comfort- harmony “working like a finely tuned engine” again! There is no substitution of drugs or awful withdrawal here. Her methods are naturally based and customized for each person offering that which your body needs and then replenishing it back to a state of optimum operation! Even more remarkable…. … it is a ten-day program!
We can do it one person at a time, or one physician at a time. However, the bottom line is to change society’s perception that addicts are all “down and out disposable people doing street drugs and not worth a second look.” The reality is that we have no farther to look than our own empty medicine cabinets and the oodles of doctor prescription pads, written on a whim instead of really looking for the root cause versus providing a “band aid measure”…. Or pacifying a patient when you have too many others to see…. Or keeping the pharmaceutical sales rep and your staff happy when they bring in free lunch for all along with their samples! Finally, the number of Hollywood celebrities who “crash and burn” is very disheartening, for some of us look to them as models in society, when they really succumb to the pressure of “stardom” and hit bottom for the world to view! How very tragic and needless! We all need to die with dignity when the true time has come ….not chained to our addictions!
Regarding the relationship to crime, there is no stronger motivator to commit crime, especially repeatedly, than for the purpose of maintaining an addiction. To provide the reader with a “snapshot and a taste of reality,” I provide you with the following data:
Statistics show that most modern-day crime is either a direct result of addiction, or indirectly a result of mental health and addiction related circumstances. Once incarcerated most inmates are not properly assessed for treatment options.
In 2005, federal, state and local governments spent $74 billion on incarceration, court proceedings, probation and parole for substance-involved adult and juvenile offenders, and less than 1% of that amount—$632 million—on prevention and treatment, according to CASAColumbia’s research. The report found that only 11% of all inmates with addiction received any treatment during their incarceration. The report found that if all inmates who needed treatment and aftercare received such services, the nation would break even in a year if just over 10% remained substance-free, crime-free and employed. Thereafter, for each former inmate who remained substance-free, crime-free and employed, the nation would reap an economic benefit of $90,953 per year.
Shattered Lives Radio was proud to have Dr. Akoury on this episode to learn about all facets of addiction and the relationship to crime.
Listen to Shattered Lives Radio Podcast
- Introduction to our guest
- The reward system, imbalance and epigenetics…. (Gene translation and transcription combined with environmental factors) The heart of the matter….
- “Chasing the High” over and over
- Maintaining…. and your reserves – like the “foundation of a house”
- Exposure, getting rid of the “blame game” and restoring mind, body and spirit
- Delilah on changing society’s perception
- ADDICTION -1 in 3 people!
- Draining the brain energy and the degree of damage
- Restoring mind body and spirit
- No withdrawal…. A personal story
- Ladyjustice reveals data on incarceration and addiction
- Self-restoration if given the tools
- A message to addicts who have committed crime
- The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine:
- Contact Information: www.awaremed.com Tel: 843-213-1480
- Postscript: For a fascinating and complimentary discussion of this topic, please refer to one of Dr. Akoury’s colleagues, Dr. Gregory Smith and his interview with her about his film “The American Addict” http://americanaddictthemovie.com/
Questions for the Doctor:
- What is the importance of our “reward system”?
- Dopamine – What role does it play?
- What kind of toxins imbalance your body?
- How to we compensate for lack of energy?
- The effects of alcohol and “the vicious cycle”?
- When should we start addressing addiction?
- How does the role of stress influence our biological make up?
- How do we change the perception of society, our worth as human beings and the problems that plague us?
- What is restoring the network – “highway”?
- What is ATP and why is it so important?
- What is the challenge of “the Benzos”…and alcohol?
- What are the components of Dr. Akoury’s treatment plan?
- What is the difference between substituting drugs versus a restoration approach?
- What should be the focus of addicted persons who have committed crime?
- What are examples of “feel good natural drugs?”
- What is the “other disease” keeping pace with the epidemic of addiction?
The comments expressed on this website or on the broadcasts of Shattered Lives do not necessarily reflect the opinions or beliefs of the hosts, producers, or other guests.