“Every life is a march from innocence, through temptation, to virtue or vice.”
~Lyman Abbott ~
|“It is an equal failing to trust everybody, and to trust nobody.” English Proverb|
Oh…. it’s just another crime victim’s conference… you say to yourself… You chat with colleagues and old friends… You hope to make some new friends and network… You collect your registration materials and try not to spill your coffee in the process… You find a seat and wait for the audio-visual guru to do his thing. You are expecting a polite introduction to a pinstriped presence that dutifully lectures and reads Power Point slides…. until the end of the presentation…
BUT… you are awakened to the reality of Chief James (Jim) Holler, Jr. He begins with a joke about how he just had to return to the Melanie Ilene Rieger Memorial Crime Victims Conference this year… http://melanieriegerconference.com/common/agenda.php as someone arrived late and Jim was relegated to a few brief minutes before lunch last year… Not good enough…This time would be different….
He didn’t use the podium, he projected…. He constantly paced the stage back and forth with wild animation. He was a master storyteller, using down home farm and fishing analogies to contrast his gritty topic of child sexual abuse and child exploitation cases… with the internet as the vehicle of choice…. punctuating his presentation with illustrative video and slides examples. He never stopped his fast pace in a 90+ minute “lecture.” Ladyjustice sat in the audience, transfixed and transformed after this experience….
Chief Jim Holler of Liberty Township, Adams County Pennsylvania is a humble and caring man. He does what’s necessary in order to catch the sexual predator… and to school himself on any technique needed to engage the bad guy. He tells us what we need to know in real terms and has many stories close to his heart to send the message in a myriad of ways… Jim is an internationally renown expert and speaker… but you’d never know it from his manner…. He’s “just doing his job,” after all…. As his bio says, “he doesn’t hold back when it comes to helping parents protect their kids!” http://hollertraining.com/
The “Shattered Lives” radio team had the rare opportunity to interview Jim as a radio guest to “scratch the surface“ of this vital topic which is growing at an epidemic rate…. Can Jim and his colleagues keep pace? They try… They try their very best …and get results!
- Introduction to our guest
- Juxtaposition re Northeastern cities…. with the proliferation of internet crimes against children… ICAC http://www.icactraining.org/
- Proactivity versus reactivity concerning the topic of sexual victimization of children
- On-line chats…. The differences regarding reality TV shows (i.e. “Catch the Predator”) and real life catching the criminals
- Any child, at any time of the day…on any day of the week… the prevalence and “going fishing” Within 30 seconds…. A story…
- Sexual torture versus the “cool material benefits”….the “seduction process”
- The predators “checklist” with multiple victims
- “Date night” – One example for catching the perpetrator
- Bringing presents “for the adventure” – Necklaces, CDs, sex toys
- Wife- “I only knew he was spending a lot of time on the computer at night”
- The hard cold statistics of prevalence – sexual abuse among each gender
- “Survivors” and the number of people who never have come forward…
- “The other 60-70 percent…”
- TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT SEXUAL ABUSE!
- Ladyjustice asks, how do we truly protect young children against abuse?
- The importance of building a good relationship with your child
- ***The situational molester versus the preferential molester – (An example of the situational molester with a 4 year old)
- The fallacy of “the weird guy in the park”…
- A discussion of who the perps are… they can be anyone…. Our neighbor, pastors, teachers, coach
- Runaway kids…. Sexual abuse is often overlooked as a reason to flee
- Jim’s challenge to law enforcement…
- A discussion of the preferential molester.. “The person that we would least ever suspect”
- Getting rid of children that get beyond the preferential molesters specific need-slot….
- Ladyjustice asks what mental health professionals say about persons with these specific preferences?
- Profiles of these perpetrators – it doesn’t make sense….
- Delilah’s commentary about those we put our trust in as parents…. How do we check out people and organizations sufficiently
- A RED FLAG- Those that move a lot – changing jobs frequently
- Grooming the parents as well as the kids…. They have it made if they can accomplish this….
- ANOTHER RED FLAG – “Parents should be aware of anyone who wants to be with their child more than they do!”
- Dedicated coaches , teachers… sexual predators give the good ones a bad name…. The REALITY … the predators have to become the teachers, coaches and preachers to have access to kids as well…
- Grooming kids on line…. As compared to the old fashioned dating relationship…. A gradual process
- The Soccer Coach story…. A preferential molester and multiple victims;
- Ladyjustice asks about the incidence of the two types of molesters
- Preventing access of our children to molesters on line…. Parents need to be detectives….
- The story of a Social Worker’s Child and her cell phone…
- Kid chat rooms and preferential molesters…
- Computer placement and the number of computers given to children now….
- Children are more savvy about the navigation of new features on cell phones and apps
- “Deceiving apps “on phones which have tabs to hide files, and “nasty photos”
- A story and discussion of X-Box Connect and the proliferation of molesters
- Ladyjustice asks about charges, conviction rates and prison time
- Comments on the discovery of child pornography- with preferential molesters
- The best website for parents: www.missingkids.com– The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children; A compendium of useful information
- http://www.netsmartz411.org/NetSmartz411/Default.aspx Q& A
- The CyberTipline® receives leads and tips regarding suspected crimes of sexual exploitation committed against children. More than 1.9 million reports of suspected child sexual exploitation have been made to the CyberTipline between 1998 and June 2013. http://www.missingkids.com/CybertipLine
- Jim’s written information for public use: www.hollertraing.com
- Delilah’s comment re the volume of information presented ….and compares to grooming with human trafficking
- Jim’s comment about how difficult it is to “be correct” re potential predators – using “gut feelings”
- PARTING MESSAGE: Develop a relationship with your child and continue to build their self esteem. If you don’t, a molester may find an opportunity.
Are There Any Questions??
- What was the pivotal case that evolved Jim’s career into sexual predation?
- What is involved concerning ICAC Training?
- How do the methods differ from TV shows catching predators and law enforcement methods?
- Within the chat rooms, how many chats are going on simultaneously?
- What techniques can law enforcement officers use to maintain their cover when “almost discovered”?
- What is the typical demographic of a sexual predator?
- Are the stats truly accurate in Jim’s opinion…and why are they “so scary”?
- Who are the true abusers of sexual abusers and those who abduct rape and kill?
- How are very small children (1 to 2 year olds) lured into sexual abuse?
- How does the internet and child pornography impact the prevalence of this crime?
- “They don’t want to hurt the child…. This is justified” How can they think such thoughts?
- What is the aftermath concerning victims of the situational molester?
- One example -Which “big city police department” takes sexual abuse and runaways as part of their protocol?
- Is the preferential molester typically the “weird guy in the park?”
- Do background checks catch the majority of molesters – Why or why not?
- How is a child from a troubled home groomed?
- What is a cell phone bedtime and why is it important?
- What are the dynamics of “sharing children”? Kid chat rooms and preferential molesters
- Why is monitoring after school activities so important?….a cautionary tale
- How are chat room cases dealt with regarding convictions at the local and Federal levels?
- How can parents get useful reference information?
The comments expressed on this website or on the broadcasts of Shattered Lives do not necessarily reflect the opinions or beliefs of the hosts, producers, or other guests.