Bill Lightfoot has a laid back way of speaking…. However, don’t let that fool you… This man, a former Sergeant with the Richmond Police Department has the investigative skills, the dedication and the compassion to take on the cases of those most often forgotten…and frequently taken advantage of… the vulnerable elderly. His experience in narcotics, criminal intelligence, property crimes, robbery and homicide has taught him to take in the entire picture…to become a keen observer of a person and a scene telling him what’s what in his gut and his heart. Although it wasn’t his intention, Bill has become a strong advocate against the ravages of elder abuse, using tools such asset forfeiture and legislative change to improve the quality of life for those who fall prey to the aging process, chronic illness and the conniving ways of others…even family members!
Ladyjustice and Delilah talked with Bill about the problems and the solutions available for prevention and change in order to protect and improve our elder citizens.
To listen to this podcast, CLICK HERE:
- Introduction to our guest;
- Delilah reporting on the homicide rate with IPV and homicide in South Carolina…
- An overview of Lightfoot Consulting;
- Prosecutors: Overlooking versus “I didn’t know”
- The types of Elder Abuse;
- Discussion of what is considered a crime in elder abuse;
- Delilah asks about the difference between elder abuse and other types of abuse?
- In perspective: A quote by an 86 year old, “I feel so alone…”
- Examples: Two death cases within institutional care-
- Nurses and doctors: “I didn’t know it was that bad…”
- Delilah brings up a pattern of conduct in all cases of abuse…
- Isolation, not being allowed to talk, changes in money transactions etc.;
- Ladyjustice on the lack of supports with those advanced in age;
- A parishioner’s story as told by Bill – the importance of checking on your flock;
- The process of Lightfoot Consulting getting involved;
- Delilah asks about what to document and how it’s done….
- Discussion of falls and bruising;
- “Undue influence”- The definition: Is it simple or complex?
- Asset Recovery/Forfeiture – A true story…;
- What can you recover in terms of assets?
- The capability of a person managing their finances;
- Discussion of model states for legislation concerning elder abuse…
- Violence against women and men with disabilities;
- Why do people not want to report abuse?
- Delilah on legislative involvement and government priorities. What is wrong with this picture?
- Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions generated from this discussion:
- How and why is Elder Abuse coming out in the forefront?
- What are the barriers to identifying elder abuse and how are they similar to domestic violence?
- How is dependence and incapacitation part of the equation?
- What is institutional abuse about?
- What are the red flags to spot elder abuse?
- Why would funeral directors need training by Lightfoot Consulting?
- What specifically does Bill look for within a person’s home or institutional environment?
- What are explainable bruises?
- How do you prove undue influence?
- What are Bill’s goals for the future?
- What can people do if faced with the situation of elder abuse?
- Identification versus action regarding abuse of all forms;
Advocating for the Elderly: Someone Has To Do It…