A grandes males, grandes remedies!
(Big Troubles Call for Big Remedies!)
According to the Gospels, when Jesus heard that John the Baptist had been killed, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place near Bethsaida. The crowds followed Jesus on foot. When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick. The disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
Jesus said,“But we only have five loaves of bread and two fish for them,” said the disciples. Jesus directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fishes and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Jesus and the disciples gave the loaves and fishes to the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. Approximately five thousand men, in addition to women and children were fed that miraculous day!
What a life lesson! Miracles do occasionally happen. One such miracle is the miracle of the MAG Coalition. The heart and soul of this organization is Yuli Alonso Garza and her community in Imperial Valley, California. From the tragedy and loss of her beloved son, Martin Alberto Garza, a better quality of life away from gang culture is being fostered! The community has embraced this cause wholeheartedly for the betterment of all and much has been accomplished since that dark night of January 6, 2013 when Martin’s life was snuffed out.
The next chapter, the judicial chapter, has stalled like a sputtering engine starting and stopping, causing much frustration. However, the Garza family rises above and looks to God. They are hopeful and confident, relying on the wisdom of a higher power and faith in the criminal justice system. It is at this intersection, once a trial and eventual sentencing date is set, that a victim impact statement can be provided to the court from families like the Garzas. The statement customizes their thoughts and feelings and creates a lasting, positive, impact, painting a true picture and presence in the courtroom for who the victim truly was! (Victim Impact Assistance Service available)
Shattered Lives Radio welcomed Yuli Garza back for a special update following the initial show. Please listen to the Podcast of the original radio show for more detail about Yuli’s son, Martin, and the case at hand. The outcome has yet to be revealed. Patience is a virtue, and the Garza family is virtuous, and we are hopeful that they will be victorious.
· Introduction to our guest;
· A stellar 17 year old with a full life ahead of him and abruptly stuck down
· The importance of MEN getting involved in the lives of their children and communities
· Are gangs glamorized in Southern California?
· The Letterman Jacket program “GO BIG OR GO HOME FUN RAISER” – a model activity
· The court process and the importance of the California Gang Enhancement Statutes: “The California Step Act:”
· A new reality…
· CONTACT INFO: firstname.lastname@example.org
MAG Coalition PO BOX 1639 Brawley, California 92227
· What were some of the qualities that made Martin such a special young man?
· What were the circumstances surrounding the crime?
· How did the family cope?
· How does the highest unemployment rate impact crime in the Imperial Valley?
· What is the easiest way to acquire funds for kids?
· Is rehabilitation and prevention part of the MAG Coalition?
· What was the pilot program about concerning the Letterman Jacket program?
· What does the blue and gold colors represent?
· What kinds of community partners have joined and what has been the benefit to students?
· What is the significance of the Gang enhancement statutes to the Garza’s case?
· What does “one day at a time“ truly mean now over a year later?
· How did Yuli commemorate the first anniversary of Martin’s death and a future project?
· What is her long range goal for MAG?